If you use an LMS, such as Blackboard, Canvas, or Brightspace, you can export student information (metadata), such as name and student number. A file containing metadata can be uploaded to Crowdmark to make the assessment to student matching step more efficient and to improve grade export.
For example, if a student has written a different email address on their assessment or their writing is illegible, you can type other identifying information into the search field during the matching step.
What does a metadata file look like?
Here's an example of what a CSV file with metadata looks like in Excel. You can also download an example metadata file. Column naming and ordering does not matter but the file must include a column with student email addresses.
Exporting metadata from your LMS
Please send an email to email@example.com for instructions on how to export a student roster from your LMS.
Importing metadata into Crowdmark
After you upload a metadata file to Crowdmark, Crowdmark will compare the email addresses and metadata in the file with the student email addresses you enrolled in Crowdmark during the assessment setup. Only data for students who are enrolled in the Crowdmark assessment will be transferred. Students cannot be enrolled or de-enrolled through the metadata file.
- In your assignment's Dashboard, click on Students in the sidebar.
- You will see a list of students. Click Upload metadata and browse for your CSV file.
- After uploading the file, icons will start to appear in the Student details column of the table beside students' email addresses. You can click a student's icon to view their metadata. If you have a large CSV and not all of the icons have populated, try splitting the CSV into smaller files and uploading them one at a time.
If changes to metadata have occurred or you wish to add to the metadata already in Crowdmark, you can upload a new CSV file (see Importing metadata into Crowdmark above). After clicking Upload metadata, you will see an Overwrite existing metadata? checkbox:
- If you would like to merge and update the metadata in Crowdmark, leave this option unchecked. Only new data and columns will be updated.
- If you would like to overwrite the metadata in Crowdmark completely with the new file, check this option.